Monday, March 26, 2007

Anthony Callea Confirms He's Gay


POP singer Anthony Callea has ended years of speculation by confirming he is gay.

The Australian Idol star said yesterday he has reached a point in his life where he is comfortable enough with himself to reveal his sexuality.

"Yes, I am gay," Callea said yesterday.

"I have no issue with my sexuality now, but it's taken time to become confident with who I am and happy with who I am."

Callea, 24, said he was already planning to come out before Edge 96.One FM traffic reporter Vic Lorusso outed him on the station's breakfast show earlier this month.

"I wouldn't say this was forced, but the timing was weird. Two weeks before that I was talking about doing this. When that happened and I thought OK, maybe it's telling me something."

Callea said it had been difficult growing up gay in the Italian community and that, more recently, the support of his partner of two years, Paul, had been invaluable. The singer met Paul, whose surname he wants to keep private, while working on Idol.

"I wouldn't have been able to do this without his support. I'm being honest but I still have a personal life I'm going to keep private," he said.

He also suspected many of his fans won't be too surprised.

(keep reading)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, thank you for finally updating your blog. Oh gosh, I just realized I cant live without your blog.

Back to Anthony, well its not really a suprise or anything like he said. It's just about time. People kinda know he's gay, they just avoided talking about it. Hopefully, people'd keep buying his CDs. This guy can blow, er.. I mean sing.