Monday, February 23, 2009

Sean Penn Wins Best Actor Oscar for "Milk"

Sean Penn won the best actor Oscar on Sunday for his portrayal of slain San Francisco gay rights activist Harvey Milk in the movie "Milk."

Penn, 48, picked up the second Oscar of his career, the first being his 2004 win for his lead role as a grieving father in "Mystic River."

"I did not expect this and I wanted to be very clear that I know how hard I make it to appreciate me," Penn said as he accepted the award.

His portrayal of an openly gay politician was a timely one -- with "Milk" coming out shortly after California's same-sex couples lost their right to marry in a voter referendum.

Penn, who is not gay and has a tough guy image dating back to his early career scrapes with the paparazzi, convincingly evoked the legendary charm of Milk, who was shot to death in 1978 at San Francisco City Hall.(
keep reading)

No comments: