Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Jeffrey Buttle Retires from Figure Skating

Canadian figure skater Jeffrey Buttle is going out on top.

The 26-year-old native of Smooth Rock Falls, Ont., announced his retirement from competitive figure skating at a news conference Wednesday.

The world champion said he's satisfied with everything he's accomplished in his career, adding it was a tough decision with the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver right around the corner.

"That was definitely the battle that was going on in my mind," Buttle said. "I had to decide was that something that I really wanted. After the world championship, I was so happy with winning that I had to reflect on how important that was to me and having the Olympics here in Vancouver is important to me but winning them wasn't.

"It just wasn't in my heart."

Buttle won gold earlier this year at the world figure skating championship in Sweden. He was the first Canadian to win the men's world title since Elvis Stojko did so in 1997.(
keep reading)

No comments: