Sunday, August 20, 2006

Andy Roddick Wins First Title in 2006


Andy Roddick holds the championship trophy after defeating Juan Carlos Ferrero, from Spain, 6-3, 6-4, at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters tennis tournament, Sunday, Aug. 20, 2006, in Mason, Ohio.

Andy Roddick was so ecstatic about winning his first title of the year that he decided to involve the crowd.

The ninth seed, Roddick defeated Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero, 6-3, 6-4, in the final of the ATP Western & Southern Financial Group Masters on Sunday.

After posting his first title since Lyon, France last October, Roddick ran around the court at the Lindner Family Tennis Center and slapped hands with fans in the front row.

It was Roddick's 21st career ATP title, his fourth Masters shield and second in four years here. In his only other final this year, he was edged by fellow American James Blake at Indianapolis last month, shortly after hiring Jimmy Connors as a consultant to fine-tune his game.

A week later, he suffered an injury to his left side that forced him to retire from the Los Angeles quarterfinals and was unable to play in Washington and Toronto the past two weeks.

"I actually feel like I turned it around in Indianapolis about a month ago and then I got set back with my injuries, so I couldn't play for 2 1/2 weeks," Roddick said. "But I prepared a lot last week. I couldn't serve, but I was training from the baseline. Jimmy was in Austin with me. I started hitting the ball real well then, so I felt prepared for this event."

In addition to pocketing $400,000, Roddick won the U.S. Open Series for a second straight season. He will play for double prize money at the year's final major.

No comments: