Saturday, January 20, 2007

Matt Damon Might be the Next Captain Kirk

According to Marc S. Malkin of ET Online's Insider column, J.J. Abrams is "very interested" in casting Oscar-winning actor Matt Damon as a young James T. Kirk in the director's forthcoming "Star Trek" movie.

"He really loves the idea," Malkin asserts. According to the columnist, Abrams is so interested that he's apparently already sought support from William Shatner.

"Shatner gave his blessing," Malkin's states. "J.J. got his approval." The popular speculation persists that the new movie will revolve around Kirk and Spock's early days at Starfleet Academy, and the concept of Matt Damon playing the titular character has been making the rounds in the Trek fan community for some time now.

I'll be the first to admit that I think Matt Damon is a fine actor, and I greatly enjoy his work. I'm also intimately familiar with the Trek franchise as both a fan and as a professional writer who pitched Deep Space Nine in the mid-'90s.


And I have to say, even though I enjoy both lobster bisque and french onion soup - I know I wouldn't enjoy them mixed together...not by half.

Abrams would be wise to take a page out of Richard Donner and Bryan Singer's play-books when it came to "Superman": cast an unknown who evokes Shatner's Kirk. Anything else would be a tragic mistake.(source)

No comments: