Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ohio State NCAA Wrestling Champ Mike Pucillo Comes Out As Gay

Mike Pucillo, a former Ohio State All-American and National Champion wrestler, has come out as gay in an interview with wrestling journalist Jason Bryant over at TheOpenMat.com.
Bryant writes:
For months, the NCAA wrestling champion from Ohio State had tried time and again to share his biggest secret, but he couldn't bring himself to verbalize two words.
Finally, on a December morning, Pucillo reached for his phone and tapped out a lengthy text message to his best friend and college teammate, Reece Humphrey.
The gist of the message was this: I'm gay.
"I think telling him was an unbelievable weight off my shoulders (and) I didn't think I would feel that good just telling him," said Pucillo, the first openly gay Division-I national champion wrestler. "Reece has always been someone with a very open mind and I thought maybe he would understand." (keep reading)

No comments: