Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary Dies at 72

Mary Travers, whose ringing, earnest vocals with the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary made songs like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “If I Had a Hammer” and “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” enduring anthems of the 1960s protest movement, died on Wednesday at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut. She was 72 and lived in Redding, Conn.

The cause was complications from chemotherapy associated with a bone-marrow transplant she had several years ago after developing leukemia.(keep reading)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ms. Travers will TRULY be missed. She had a heart and soul in just the right body. She should be an inspiration to not only women, but men. Stand up for what you believe. Her voice was one of a kind and instantly recogniizable. Just like all the other female singers before her: Karen Carpenter, Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha. You'd hear a song and know it was here. It is such a shame that the trio had not recorded in the recent past. We know where this flower has gone, in just one "Puff". God speed Mary.

jason bakely said...

Great for him I 'm glad he's selling millions...

vibaku said...

My brother had the album where their names are written in chalk on a brick wall behind them, and I played that album a bazillion times.
The song about the young woman who dresses in a man's uniform to join her beloved (I guess it would have been the Civil War?) used to slay me.
Very sad news today...

mike said...

I have a bit of an ear for music, and it's interesting that just out of the blue, spontaneously, after I had learned to strum chords on a guitar, I played and sung, "If I Had a Hammer," a fun song to sing on a guitar. I guess my favorite of theirs.

Anonymous said...

Iam to upset to post!