Sunday, December 07, 2014

Canadian Olympic Figure Skater Eric Radford Comes Out as Gay.

Eric Radford says he hopes to use his position as one of Canada's top athletes to help guide or inspire other young gay people. 

"I feel so lucky that my skating is giving me a voice big enough for people to listen," Radford said in a Canadian Press interview on Thursday. 

The two-time world championship bronze medallist publicly came out in an interview this week with "Outsports." 

"There has always been a part inside of me that would have eventually, whether it was now or later," he said.  
Radford hails from Balmertown in northwestern Ontario. His pairs figure skating partner Meagan Duhamel comes from Lively, in northeastern Ontario. 

Radford later told CBC News he was inspired to come out by the Canadian Olympic Committee's new One Team initiative which is aimed at supporting LGBT community members in sport. 

"Deep down I knew that I would eventually want to use my talent in more than just one way,” he said.(keep reading)

No comments: