Sunday, July 13, 2014

Olympic Swimming Star Ian Thorpe Comes Out As Gay

Swimming legend Ian Thorpe revealed that he is gay and battled depression and alcohol abuse for the greater part of his world-beating swimming career.

In an extraordinarily confessional interview with British talkshow legend Michael Parkinson, aired on Channel Ten on Sunday, Thorpe put an end to years of speculation and contradicted his own numerous and declarative denials to say that he is gay.

"I'm not straight,"

Thorpe said. Thorpe said he decided only in the past two weeks to confront rumours that followed him, he revealed, since he was 16, or even felt able to tell his friends and family.

"I've wanted to for some time. I didn't feel I could," he said.

"Part of me didn't know if Australia wanted its champion to be gay [now] I am telling the world that I am." Thorpe also opened up about his problems with mental health and admitted to contemplating suicide at the depths of his depression.(keep reading)

No comments: