Sunday, April 13, 2008

Canadian Diver Alexandre Despatie Sidelined by Injury

Canadian diving champion Alexandre Despatie has broken his foot and will be sidelined for up to six weeks.

“This is very disappointing since I love competing and I was looking forward to the next few weeks with a great deal of enthusiasm,” said Despatie in a statement released late today.

The 22-year-old, who won silver at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, broke the fifth metatarsal during a poolside warm-up.

Despatie will pull out of the World Diving Series in Mexico and Britain, the Grand Prix in the U.S. and the Canada Cup in Montreal.

"I'll be speaking with my doctors and the management of the national team in the next few days to devise a plan that will help me get back into action as quickly as possible,” he said. “Even if my plans for the Olympics do not appear to be compromised, I don't want to rush things because I want to have all the odds in my favour once I'm back in the game."(source)

No comments: